The Ultrium Tape 2U Autoloader 3581 is an external stand-alone or rack-mountable unit and contains a Linear Tape-Open (LTO) Ultrium tape drive designed for the heavy demands of backup tape storage. The Ultrium Tape 2U Autoloader 3581 capacity is eight tape cartridges, providing a media capacity of up to 1.6 TB (3.2 TB with 2:1 compression) data storage per unit. It is supported for Small Computer Systems Interface (SCSI) for Fibre channel attachment to iSeries, AS/400, pSeries, RS/6000, xSeries, Netfinity, HP, Sun, Linux, UNIX, and PC servers.
- Tape drive performance is more than doubled, up to 35 MB/sec native data transfer rate (70 MB/sec with 2:1 compression). IBM Ultrium 2 Tape Drives can read and write original LTO Ultrium Data Cartridges at original Ultrium 1 capacities and with improved performance up to 20 MB/sec native data transfer rate (40 MB/sec with 2:1 compression).
- The tape cartridge capacity is doubled over the original Ultrium Data Cartridge up to 200 GB native capacity (400 GB with 2:1 compression), with the use of the new IBM TotalStorage LTO Ultrium 200 GB Data Cartridge. Both cartridges have been designed to provide several enhancements over previous tape technologies. They are designed to work with tape drives that have increased tape speeds and high-density data recording. The tape itself is an advanced metal particle tape developed for durability and capacity.
- Digital speed matching — The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive will perform dynamic speed matching to adjust the drive's native data rate as closely as possible to the net host data rate (after data compressibility has been factored out). This offers the dual benefit of reducing the number of backhitch repositions and improving throughput performance.
- Power management — The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive power management function controls the drive's electronics to be either completely turned off or to be in a low-power mode. These power modes occur only when the circuit functions are not needed for drive operation.
- Channel calibration — The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive channel calibration feature allows for customization of each read/write data channel for optimum performance. The customization enables compensation for variations in the recording channel transfer function, media characteristics, and read/write head characteristics.
- Separate writing of multiple filemarks — Separate writing of multiple filemarks causes any write command of two or more filemarks to cause a separate data set to be written containing all filemarks after the first. This feature has two advantages. First it can improve performance if a subsequent append overwrites somewhere after the first filemark. Second, write of multiple filemarks typically indicates a point where an append operation might occur after the first of these filemarks. This change prevents having to rewrite datasets containing customer data and the first filemark in cases if such an append occurs.
- Ultrium 1 cartridge compatibility — The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive can read and write on Ultrium 1 cartridges with improved transfer rates.
- LVD Ultra160 SCSI and HVD Ultra SCSI attachment — The Model L28 comes with an LVD Ultra160 SCSI attachment, while the HVD Converter Kit option provides an HVD Ultra SCSI attachment, for connection to a wide spectrum of open system servers. The Model F28 comes with native switched fabric 2 Gbps Fibre Channel attachment. They are supported on AIX®, OS/400®, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, Microsoft™ Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Linux, and other open systems.
- Larger internal data buffer — There is a 64 MB internal data buffer in the Ultrium 2 Tape Drive as compared to a 32 MB internal data buffer in the Ultrium 1 Tape Drive.
- Faster cartridge fill times (for both Ultrium 1 and Ultrium 2 data cartridges) — The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive can fill an Ultrium 200 GB data cartridge 12% faster, with a sustained data rate 128% better when compared to the Ultrium 1 Tape Drive filling an Ultrium 100 GB data cartridge. The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive can fill an Ultrium 100 GB data cartridge 25% faster, with a sustained data rate 33% better, when compared to the Ultrium 1 Tape Drive. The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive can fill an Ultrium 200 GB data cartridge in 1 hour 44 minutes with a sustained data rate of 122.8 GB per hour. The Ultrium 2 Tape Drive can fill an Ultrium 1 100 GB data cartridge in 1 hour 29 minutes with a sustained data rate of 71.9 GB per hour. The Ultrium 1 Tape Drive can fill an Ultrium 1 100 GB data cartridge in 2 hours with a sustained data rate of 53.8 GB per hr.